Allegheny Valley Volunteer Fire Company Background
The move establishes Allegheny Valley Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1, Station 315 – the combined department became active at 7 p.m. June 6 -- serves both communities and the surrounding area.
There are two station locations, #1 at 851 Parkway Drive, Harwick PA 15049 and #2 at 1000 Freeport Road, Cheswick, PA 15024. Fire calls are answered from both stations and the central offices are in the Harwick location in Springdale Township.
The newly formed Fire Company is accepting applications for Active, Junior and Social Members. Please consider joining our brave, hardworking, and entertaining team.
Harmar Township Volunteer Fire Company History
Prior to the forming of a fire company in Harmar Township, we depended on surrounding communities for fire protection. These were primarily Cheswick, Springdale, and Oakmont Boroughs. Before March 25, 1938, there had been some effort by leading citizens in the Harmarville area to form a fire company. The group purchased a used fire truck and housed it in the West Penn Street Car Barn in Harmarville. However, this was short lived; the group disbanded and sold the equipment.
On March 25, 1938, there was a general meeting of the Harmar Twp. citizens called by the Twp. supervisors for the purpose of discussing the organization of a fire company. The meeting was held at the township building in Acmetonia. At the March 25th meeting, Mr. J. L. Kruth of Harmarville was elected temporary chairman, and Leonard B. Sharpsburg and Mr. William Wanamaker Sr. were called upon to offer suggestions and help to organize a fire company. A committee of five men (Arthur Wagle, Kenneth Peterson, David Stitt, Lawrence Hilliard, and Frank Graham) was appointed to draft a set of bylaws and constitution. A meeting was set for Monday, March 28, 1938, 8:30PM. The township supervisors (Frank Graham, James Anderson, and Charles Hodel, Sr.) had already purchased a new fire truck, so they set up a temporary group of 14 men to handle the equipment until the fire company could be organized. As a result of the previous meetings, March 30, 1938, the first organized meeting was held and the first nominations of officers of Harmar Twp. Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 were put to ballot. The nominations are a matter of record. A copy of the bylaws and constitution was read at this time. On April 12, 1938, the first officers of the fire company were elected and sworn into office.
On May 21, 1938, the first set of bylaws and constitution were read again and on July 5, 1938 were adopted. A fire whistle was put to use by the new firemen on the tipple of the Consumers Mining Company at Harmarville on August 5, 1938. The fire truck, a 1938 Mack, was housed in the township building at the foot of Acme Hill on Pearl Street. This new piece of equipment was the cause of much pride and honor among the members because of the many prizes it won in competitive firemen’s parades. An application for a Charter was made immediately, but because of bad health, the original attorney was unable to complete the original application. We were finally granted a Charter in June 1939 after a second try by another attorney.
In 1941, the fire company rented the building presently used by the Cooper Tire Co. for all the company social functions. In 1943 our present property was deeded to us by the Harmar Twp. School Board. Our building was erected in 1949 and was used as a social center for the township, especially all the civic groups, Boy and Girl Scouts, and many sports associations. In 1954, the fire company purchased the combination Ford Squad and Pumper Truck, of which we were very proud. A new addition to the engine room was built in 1958. A new American LaFrance Pumper Fire Truck was purchased in March, 1964. Our next addition to our fire-fighting equipment was a Diesel Engine Mack Pumper, purchased in July, 1971, by the township supervisors.
Our current fleet consist of a 1987 Mack/Pierce engine, 1993 Pierce engine, 1996 Ford Explorer, 1999 Ford pickup truck, 2003 Rescue Truck, 24’ Pontoon fireboat, 14’ rescue boat and a technical rescue trailer. These current additions were purchased by the Fire Company using smart and careful financial planning. Throughout the years, the Harmar Fire Co. has purchased and learned to use many pieces fire and rescue equipment. The members have regular sessions every month to keep alert to all latest methods to be better able to render assistance wherever and whenever needed. A fireman is not only a firefighter. He is also a helper in many community needs. We are proud and will continue to be proud to be a part of Harmar Township. We will continue to render our services when needed."
Springdale Township Volunteer Fire Department History and Timeline
1976 - Twenty concerned citizens form the Springdale Township Volunteer Fire
Department. At that time, the Township paid Harmar Township and
Springdale Borough for fire and emergency protection.
Purchased first truck: 1965 Maxim, 750 pump, 1000 gal. tank
MARCH 28, 1977 - Springdale Township Volunteer Fire Department now in service!
The newly formed fire department received financial assistance from the
Township as well as equipment donations from various fire departments.
FIRST STATION - Located in the garage at the Trading Post.
LADIES AUXILIARY hosted various fundraisers such as election day bake sales, Garage sales, bingos at the old union hall, sold recipe booklets, and card parties. The monies collected were donated to the fire department.
Firefighters sold Christmas Trees, held various raffles, and solicited door-to-door for donations to raise money to purchase equipment and support the fire department.
SANTA CLAUS, riding atop of the fire truck, toured the municipality with Cartoon Characters.
1978 - First Elected Woman Line Officer - Gwen Young - 2nd Lieutenant
MAY 1979 - The Ladies Auxiliary merged with the firefighters to form one department.
AUGUST 1979 - The Department opened the membership to include 16 year-olds as Junior Firefighters.
1980 - Township donated the dump truck to the Fire Department to be converted to a mini-pumper. The mini was stored in a pavillion on the Negrich Family's property.
1981 - The Negrich Family leased property to the fire department for $1 per year to build a sub-station. The garage was built by the members of the department and housed the mini-pumper. The Engine was moved to the municipal garage on Orchard.
February 1982 - An accidental fire burnt down the fire hall in Harwick. The damage was estimated at approximately $75,000. Rural Ridge Fire Department hosted an oldies dance to assist Springdale Township Fire Department.
August 22, 1982 - The department held it's first spaghetti dinner at the Old Union Hall.
(Spaghetti dinners continue to be a successful fundraiser for the department in 2006.)
1982 - Fire Department obtained a 2% loan from the state to purchase a new
Grumman Mini-Pumper. (Engine 812 is still currently in service in 2007)
1983 - The Township purchased a 1983 Grumman Pumper (Engine 811) to replace the 1965 Engine.
August 1985 - The first Bazaar was held in August that included an antique car show.
(Yearly carnivals were held through 1990. Some of the entertainment included were
a snake lady, Logans Ferry Button Box, Puppet Show and Hollywood Impersonators)
December 1986 - Mr. & Mrs. Clause greeted the children of Harwick in the Municipal Building and the children from Orrville received their gifts at the Fire Department's sub-station on Butler-Logan Road.
September 1988 - The Fire Department purchased 27 acres from Duquense Light
For the future construction of a fire hall. A mortgage was obtained from Atlantic
Financial and paid-off in 1991 because of the hard work and dedication through fundraising. Mortgage Burning was held at the Polish Club.
1991 - Four firefighters from Hilltop Hose Co. #3 lost their lives in a fire in Brackenridge. (Rick Frantz, Frank Veri, Jr., Michael Cielicki Burns and
1992 - Sold 18 acres of the property purchased from Duquesne Light for the future
development of Cambridge Manor.
1995 - Santa and Mrs. Claus resumes their ride on the fire truck visiting each street
bringing gifts and treats to the children of the Township.
August 1997 - Department hosted 1st "FAMILY FUN DAY" at Williams Street Park.
1998 - Township donated a police car to the fire department to be used as a squad car to transport firefighters to calls. (Squad 813)
August 1998 - The Fire Department obtained a mortgage from Allegheny Valley Bank
For the construction of a Social and Fire Hall. Excavation began in August and the
Actual construction started in September, 1998.
February 1999 - Construction was completed on the new facility
March 1999 - First Wedding Reception in the Social Hall - Fire Department Members - Lisa Trainor and Charlie Sprague.
March 21, 1999 - OPEN HOUSE - Over 600 people attended the catered event showing off the brand new facility consisting of a Social Hall and Engine Room... with a Personnel Lounge, Office and specially equipped bathroom for firefighters.
April 26, 1999 - First Monday night Bingo held in new Social Hall
Fire Department continues to sell Raffle Tickets, host Las Vegas Nights, weekly Bingos,
Spaghetti Dinners and various other fundraisers to support the department.
October 2000 - The Department obtained a loan through Allegheny Valley Bank
To pave the parking lot of the new facility.
March 2001 - The Township purchased a new 2001 Pierce Engine (Engine 814)
To replace the 1983.
August 11th & 12th 2001 - 25th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION !!!
2002 - The Department purchased a Dodge Ram Van to replace Squad 813.
2003 - Put an addition on the station, adding four garage bays, bunk room, line officers office, fitness room, and loft area
2004 - The Department purchased a 2005 Ford F-250 Super Crew to serve as Utility 815. The department also responded to a then-record number of fire calls due in large part to Hurricane Ivan in September.
2005 - The Pittsburgh Mills Mega Mall opens in nearby Frazer Township.
2006 - Celebrated 30 years of service. Pennsylvania Governor Edward G. Rendell pays a visit to the deparment. WDVE holds the last leg of the WDVE World ...Tour at Springdale Township VFD
2007 - Welcomed the Salvation Army (County Station 470) Canteen Unit #3 into the station. Switched to the county wide 911 system.
Allegheny Valley Volunteer Fire Company is the newly formed entity, consolidating Harmar and Springdale Townships former volunteer departments.
Allegheny Valley Volunteer Fire Company, No. 1, Station 315
Station #1 at 851 Parkway Drive, Harwick PA 15049
Station #2 at 1000 Freeport Road, Cheswick, PA 15024
For Rental Inquiries, please call Joanne at 724-274-6723
Doors Open at 5 pm. Earlybirds start at 7:45pm. 2 MUST GO JACKPOTS at $2,000 each 20 Regular Games / 5 Specials Limited Seats available. Pre-Sale tickets on...
Live Comedy Night by SFS Productions featuring Derek Minto a regular at Pittsburghs Improv and John Evans from Last Comic Standing. Tickets are Ten Dollars at the...
On Saturday December 10th Santa, Mrs. Claus and the elves will jump aboard the fire trucks of Allegheny Valley VFC and travel the streets of Harmar and Springdale...
Join the Northwood Charitable Foundation for a Night at the Races to benefit the Pittsburgh Fisher House! Tickets include a buffet, beer and pop for $20. Get...